9.14.2008

Enjoying the journey...

Former CNN anchor Aaron Brown spoke to my grad program (approximately 20 students) on Thursday, Sept. 11 in an intimate luncheon setting. He is most certainly an eloquent speaker and seems like a truly genuine, nice guy. He spoke to us about the importance of believing in ourselves and working hard to achieve our dreams (nothing new here).

What was relatively new (as far as motivational speeches go) was his advice for all of us to STOP WORRYING. He commented that our generation (Gen Y) is notorious for always fretting, over-analyzing, and stressing out about life and our paths to success. It was refreshing to hear such an accomplished man/journalist tell us to relax and enjoy the ride--regardless of bumps or detours along the way.

I could not agree more with Brown's advice and I feel as though I have already been applying that very attitude to life. Ask my best friend Meredith what my standard response to her everyday conundrums is and she'll confirm that I say "SETTLE" on the daily.

Perhaps I carry this attitude because I have been so fortunate in my life that things seem to always have a way of working themselves out and thus, I don't stress of fret because I assume everything will work out.

Brown was furthermore telling us to wake up every morning, look at ourselves in the mirror, and say "I am a __________" (fill in with whatever it is one dreams of becoming). I think my 'settle' laxidazical attitude may hurt me here in that I do not have one sole dream profession. I can see myself doing several different things and thoroughly enjoying each one. Sooo, should I be worried that because I am not 100% passionate and certain about becoming one thing in life, that I will, in turn not accomplish or succeed in any of the areas I am interested in? I guess that's a bit of a stretch... but it is something to think about.

OR, I can "stop worrying" and live life for the moment and enjoy whatever may come my way...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

3rd paragraph. 2nd sentence. "Just ask my best friend..." You've made me sad. Goodbye...

Anonymous said...

That is refresing to hear. I agree with you- I don't have one particular thing I want to be, I honestly can't tell you what I dream of being...but I know that it will just happen! I like your philosophy on life. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Aaron has an approach to work life that is refreshing. One wonders if it has always been this way for him... I enjoyed reading your blog--Dr B