9.16.2008

Happier, Healthier, Wealthier... but wise?

A 2002 CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) study provided evidence that married persons are happier and healthier than their unmarried counterparts. Married couples have a lower mortality rate, engage in less risky behavior, monitor their health more closely, follow a more compliant medical regimen, engage in sex more frequently and thus have higher satisfaction with their sexual lives, earn higher wages and save more money.

Wow. If that's not enough convincing to head down the aisle... I don't know what is!

Apparently, most all of my friends, acquaintances, siblings, cousins, dogs, cats, and uncle's monkey's sister's nepwhews have all read the 2002 CDC report. I however, must have been out of the country the day it was mass-delivered.

Everywhere I look, people are in long-term relationships, getting engaged, and getting married (let's not forget to mention the people my age (22) who are already celebrating their 5-year wedding anniversaries).

As much as the dating scene has changed--that is, men and women are group dating more often than going on one-on-one dates or they are simply hanging out at a party and hooking up--I would have for sure thought that the age at which young adults were getting married would be starkly different than they seemingly are. After all, women are being encouraged to 'date like men' and seek out more casual relations without giving into their emotions or looking for a long-term mate.

Perhaps I am one of the only Gen Y-ers who thinks that being single, independent, and only having to worry about oneself is where it's at. I'm not saying I'm against long-term monogamy. Rather, there are a heck of a lot other things going on in my life that take the front seat to getting my Mrs. degree (in fact, I'm going to value my Masters degree a heck of a lot more than a Mrs. degree in the next several upcoming years).

How do we really know ourselves at such a young age? Isn't it more important to build a life for oneself before building a life as a duo?

And then of course, divorce rates are higher in this decade than they've ever been in the past. Are people my age rushing into marriage?

Sure, you're healthier and wealthier.... but is jumping into a 'for better or worse' relationship really 'Wise'?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your mentality, although I seem hypocritcal saying that. It is very important to establish a life for yourself first and know what it's like to be independent. However, while on that journey if you happen to run into someone charming, it doesn't hurt to enjoy their company as long as you remain true to yourself and your priorities. :) I have so many friends that are already married, have TWO kids and a few that have been divorced. An education should always be one's first life goal- but I guess others find the settle down family life important at age 18...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Bailey, that nationwide memo didn't land in my inbox either. I absolutely adore being 24, single & fabulous... Besides who has time for a bf right now, much less a legal lifetime partner, when we've got 6 stories, 5 shoot-firsts, 1 in-depth, a portfolio on dreamweaver, and (potentially) 4 Media Law papers due in the next five weeks?? Kill me now. No, don't. Walk me down the aisle. That would be way worse.